$30M Verdict For Untreated Ulcer Leading To Death

On December 11, 2014, the woman was admitted to Kindred Hospital after being treated at Tampa General Hospital. Her discharge instructions from Tampa General Hospital indicated that an endoscopy was required to be completed by January 5, 2015. Two hospitalists who worked at Kindred Hospital, a long-term acute care facility, failed to arrange the required endoscopy for two months. …medicalmalpracticelawyers.com, $30M Florida Medical Malpractice Verdict For Untreated Ulcer Leading To Death, Apr 2024

 

During that two-month period, the woman’s ulcer in her small intestine worsened, developed into a severe erosive ulcer, and ultimately perforated her small intestine that led to sepsis and death.

 

The two hospitalists treated the woman for constipation, nausea, and vomiting that they believed were side effects of a medication they prescribed. Trial testimony established that the woman’s pain level was 9 out of 10 in the days before her death. The day before she died, the woman was sent to a nearby hospital for a brain CT scan that was reported as negative. Her parents wanted their daughter to be transferred to Tampa General Hospital instead of being sent out for a CT scan but their wishes were ignored, and their daughter was sent back to Kindred Hospital after the CT scan was completed.

 

The Florida wrongful death medical malpractice trial lasted eight days after which the jury determined that one of the hospitalists was 70% at fault and the other was 30% responsible for the woman’s death. The jury awarded the parents $15 million each.

COMMENTS

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *