Lawsuit Alleges Teen Died After Fourth Trip To ER Over Several Days

The parents of a 16-year-old high school student allege in their Connecticut medical malpractice wrongful death lawsuit that Henry Farmer V was taken to the ER of Stanford Hospital on April 8, 2022, for a persistent dry cough lasting for at least 45 minutes. He was provided humidified air, which appeared to resolve his symptoms…, Connecticut Medical Malpractice Lawsuit Alleges Teen Died After Fourth Trip To ER Over Several Days, Jan 2024


He was told to continue taking allergy medication and he was instructed see an allergist or immunologist for outdoor environmental allergy testing. However, once he arrived back home, his cough returned and he was taken back to the ER.


During his second visit to the ER on April 8, 2022, the ER staff was advised that Henry’s cough had actually started days earlier. A chest x-ray reportedly did not find “radiographic evidence of acute cardiopulmonary disease.” Nonetheless, because Henry’s oxygen saturation level was below normal at 92 percent while he was seated, he was given Albuterol after which his symptoms appeared to improve, and he was then given another medication to treat asthma.


On April 11, 2022, Henry was again brought to the ER, with complaints of persistent cough, shortness of breath, decreased appetite, and lethargy. He advised the ER physician that he became winded when speaking or climbing stairs, according to the family’s Connecticut medical malpractice lawsuit. The differential diagnosis included mononucleosis, exercise induced-asthma, COVID-19, electrolyte abnormality, anemia, anxiety, and pneumonia. The ER physician instructed Henry to follow up with an allergist and pediatrician, and then discharged Henry to home.


Henry was examined by an allergist on April 12, 2022. Later that same day, Henry was pale, lethargic, and had an altered mental status when he was found in his bedroom. When he arrived by ambulance in the ER, he was in cardiac arrest. He was pronounced dead at 5:17 p.m. despite having been intubated, having CPR performed, and undergoing 10 rounds of defibrillation, according to his parents’ lawsuit. An autopsy reportedly determined that Henry died as a result of pulmonary thromboembolism and deep vein thrombosis.


The family’s Connecticut wrongful death lawsuit alleges that the ER physician on April 11, 2022 could have properly diagnosed Henry’s condition had she timely ordered appropriate medical tests, such as cardiac lab testing, an electrocardiogram or echocardiogram, or a blood test for a clotting condition.


1 comment

  1. Greetings! I’ve been following your web site for a long time now and
    finally got the bravery to go ahead and gіve you а shout out from Neѡ Ⲥaney Texas!
    Just wanted to say keep up thе fantastic job!

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *